Geelong Design Week will return in March 2022 with the theme Taur which means ‘belonging’ in the language of the Wadawurrung people, Traditional Owners of Djilang (Geelong).
From 1 September, we’re calling for designers, artists, organisations, community groups, schools and individuals to apply to host an event.
We’re looking for highly engaging events that showcase how design can respond to our need to belong, how we are creating places and environments accessible to all, and how staying connected keeps us safe and promotes a better quality of life. In Wadawurrung language, we are one with our country, we are all connected.
Geelong Design Week presents a great opportunity to showcase your work, share stories, discuss ideas, learn from others and collaborate on a platform supported by a dedicated events team.
Click here to read the 2021 event report and learn more about the event host experience.
Events will champion Geelong’s UNESCO City of Design designation, highlighting innovation, ideas and adaptations in:
- Technology, innovation and manufacturing
- Culture and heritage
- Social and community services
- Equity, inclusiveness and encounter in the built environment: how we experience buildings and the spaces between them
- Learning, knowledge and research
- Sustainability: human, social, economic, environmental and ecological
- Food and gastronomy
- Art, craft, fashion, visual communication and multimedia
What is Geelong Design Week?
Following a successful trial in 2021, the Open Studios feature program will return in 2022. Artists and makers across the G21 region are invited to open their studio doors and showcase their work over two weekends. It’s a great way to shine a spotlight on our creative industries and encourage people to explore the region during Geelong Design Week.
The Open Studios program will be held over two weekends:
- Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th March, 10am-4pm
- Saturday 26th and Sunday 27 March, 10am-4pm
If you wish to apply to be part of the Open Studios program, please select this category in your application. Read more
Stage 1 – Application and assessment
|Applications open||Wednesday 1 September 2021 |
Read the FAQ’s before starting your application.
|Applications close||Sunday 31 October 2021|
Stage 2 – Finalising your event
|All applicants notified||Mid-November 2021|
|Host-help online sessions||Mid November to early December. These sessions will assist hosts with event planning requirements.|
|Final event content due||10 December 2021|
Content received after this date will not be included in the final program.
Stage 3 – Program release
|Official program released||Late January 2022|
|Media launch||Early February 2022|
|Official launch event||Wednesday 16 March 2022|
How to apply
Applications are now open until 31 October.
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before starting your application.
When you have opened the application form, you will need to create an account before you can start your application.
Click on ‘Log in’ in the top right hand corner of the application and then click the ‘Register’ button to create an account.
All applications will be peer reviewed by the Geelong Design Week (GDW) Curatorial Working Group.
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Is the proposed event relevant to the 2022 theme ‘Taur’ (belonging)?
- Is the proposed event scheduled between 17 and 27 March 2022? (Multi-day events can start prior to the 17 March and finish after 27 March.)
- Is the proposed event accessible and open to all members of the public to attend?
- Does the proposed event support and build awareness of Geelong’s UNESCO City of Design designation?
- Does the proposed event celebrate and showcase design and creativity?
- Does the application demonstrate capacity, skills and resources to deliver a high-quality event?
If the event is to be held in-person, hosts must have an online delivery plan in place. This will ensure that Geelong Design Week 2022 events can proceed in the event of government restrictions.
In 2022, all event ticketing and registrations will be coordinated by the Geelong Design Week team.
Please email [email protected]
Geelong Design Week Videos
Check out previous events by downloading the programs below.