Geelong Design Week will return in 2021 with the theme Unpredictable.
We’re now calling for organisations, groups and individuals to host events for Geelong Design Week 2021.
Events will champion Geelong’s UNESCO City of Design designation, highlighting innovation, ideas and adaptations in:
- Technology, innovation and manufacturing
- Culture and heritage
- Social and community services
- Equity, inclusiveness and encounter in the built environment: how we experience buildings and the spaces between them
- Learning, knowledge and research
- Sustainability: human, social, economic, environmental and ecological
- Food and gastronomy
- Art, craft, fashion, visual communication and multimedia
Geelong Design Week 2021 will demonstrate resourceful adaptation that turns challenges into opportunities. It will celebrate clever and creative human environment design that turns obstacles into building blocks. It will showcase our capacity to design and build real and virtual communities where we can interact safely.
Stage 1 – Applications are now closed
|Applications open|| Monday 3 August 2020 |
Read the FAQ’s before starting your application.
|Drop-in information sessions||These online sessions will provide an opportunity to ask questions, discuss your proposed event in more detail and assist with the application process.|
|Applications close||Friday 18 September 2020|
Stage 2 – Event selection process
|Event selection process||21 – 30 September 2020|
Stage 3 – Finalising your event
|All applicants notified||30 September 2020|
|Host-help online sessions||These online sessions will assist hosts with event planning requirements. All hosts will be emailed a link to register for a session.|
|Final program content due||13 November 2020|
Content received after this date will not be included in the final program.
Stage 4 – Program release
|Official program released||Late January 2021|
|Media launch||Early February 2021|
|Official launch event||Mid March 2021|
The Application Process
Applications for Geelong Design Week 2021 have now closed.
HOW TO APPLY
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before starting your application.
When you have opened the application form, you will need to create an account before you can start your application.
Click on ‘Log in’ in the top right hand corner of the application and then click the ‘Register’ button to create an account.
All applications will be peer reviewed by the Geelong Design Week (GDW) Curatorial Working Group.
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Is the proposed event relevant to the 2021 theme ‘Unpredictable’?
- Is the proposed event scheduled between 18 and 28 March 2021? (Multi-day events can start prior to the 18 March and finish after 28 March.)
- If the proposed event is face to face, is an online alternative in place that meets any changes to government health directions? (Click here for up to date information on restrictions)
- Is the proposed event accessible and open to all members of the public to attend?
- Does the proposed event support and build awareness of Geelong’s UNESCO City of Design designation?
- Does the proposed event celebrate and showcase design and creativity?
- Does the application demonstrate capacity, skills and resources to deliver a high-quality event including managing event ticketing and associated data collection?
If the event is to be held in-person, hosts must have an online delivery plan in place. This will ensure that Geelong Design Week 2021 events can proceed in the event of government restrictions.
All event hosts will be required to provide attendance numbers and associated data for reporting purposes.